Joomla! is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) for publishing web content. Over the years Joomla! has won several awards. It is built on a model–view–controller web application framework that can be used independently of the CMS that allows you to build powerful online applications.
Joomla! is one of the most popular website softwares, thanks to its global community of developers and volunteers, who make sure the platform is user friendly, extendable, multilingual, accessible, responsive, search engine optimized and so much more.
What's a content management system (CMS)?
The definition of a CMS is an application (web-based), that provides capabilities for multiple users with different permission levels to manage (all or a section of) content, data or information of a website project, or intranet application. Managing content refers to creating, editing, archiving, publishing, collaborating on, reporting, distributing website content, data and information.
Joomla! in the real (online) world
Joomla! is used all over the world to power millions of websites of all shapes and sizes. Discover examples of companies using Joomla! in the official Joomla! Showcase Directory.
Joomla! can be used for:
- Corporate websites or portals, intranets and extranets
- Small business websites
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government, non-profit and organisational websites
- Community-based, school and church websites or portals
- Personal or family homepages ...
Being a web agency, how can Joomla! help me?
If you’re an agency who develops websites for your customers, Joomla! is the perfect tool for you (have a look at our benefits and features). Designed to be easy to install and set up, even if you're not an advanced user. With a short learning curve (we provide free video training as well) you’ll be able to quickly build sites for your clients. Then, with a minimal amount of instruction, you can empower your clients to easily manage their own sites themselves. If your clients need specialised functionality, Joomla! is highly extensible and thousands of extensions (most for free under the GPL license) are available in the Joomla! Extensions Directory.
A flexible system, easy to extend and customise
- Joomla has thousands of verified third party extensions which can be easily found on the Joomla Extensions Directory - extensions.joomla.org.
- There are also thousands of high quality templates available, a great number of which are free. Paid templates are also available and come with world class support. Many templates provide a graphical user interface (GUI) which allow you to change colours, fonts, layouts and features without touching a line of code!
- The layout and overrides system and built in extendable functions make it easy to create customised solutions including:
- Custom Layouts
- Language overrides
- Template overrides
- Custom CSS
- ... and much more.
- A wealth of free documentation and video training make learning Joomla a breeze make sure to visit:
- docs.joomla.org - our official wiki
- training.joomla.org - a repository of video tutorials created by OSTraining
- forum.joomla.org - the official Joomla community forum - it’s manned by hundreds of thousands of users, all who are happy to share their knowledge and expertise with you!
Search engine optimised out of the box
- Joomla has powerful SEO tools built and ready right out of the box
- Metadata and Keywords
- Mod_rewrite support for SEF URLs
- Menu creation built with the thought of creating clear and consistent sitemaps
- Every time you create an article or a menu item, it automatically creates an alias for its default PHP string so that the links to particular pages are both user and search engine friendly.
- Each menu item can have its own meta description, keywords and robots settings, allowing you to customize the SEO settings for your content to give optimal availability and searchability. These features allow you to make the most important parts of your content shine out among other similar websites, giving you the technical edge.